The first step to working in the UK is obtaining a work permit, which allows you to work and live in the UK for a particular period with options for extension. There are a lot of available job openings in the UK in different sectors for individuals that dream of settling there. Here is how you can obtain a work visa
1. Get A Job
Create a professional CV and cover letter for your skills and experience, then go online to sites like Indeed, Read, and LinkedIn and apply for available jobs in the UK. It is most advisable to get a job from a UK work-approved employer so that your employer will be able to offer you a visa sponsorship.
2. Get a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from your employer.
Your letter of support has to be offered by your employer, and it will cover all the details about the employment you are being offered, including salary, position, and offer duration.
Pass All Eligibility
There are eligibility criteria for individuals that want to be offered a work visa, and they must make sure they pass them if they want their application to be approved. These criteria are:
- Applicants must have a valid job offer and CoS
- Applicant’s job positions must be on the list of eligible occupations.
- Applicants must be paid a minimum salary.
- Applicants must have a good knowledge of English.
- Applicants must be financially capable of supporting their stay in the UK
- Applicants must prove that they have a clean criminal record.
- An average of 70 points in the UK work visa assessment
This is when you gather all necessary documents and prove that all criteria’s that are needed are met. Make sure you have a soft copy of all documents
Apply for the Work Visa
After gathering all documents and making sure you pass the eligibility check, it is now time to apply for the work visa by visiting the UK’s official immigration website and filling out the form honestly. When the application process is completed, the only thing you can do is wait and hope that your application is approved.
If you are granted a work visa while working for a certain verified company, it is good to note that you cannot work for another company with that same work permit unless the new company is verified and offers you a certificate of sponsorship.