Display a web interstitial ad

How To Migrate to the US As A Truck Driver


The extreme shortage of truck drivers in the US has been around for a long time and is growing at an even greater rate post-COVID. The American Trucking Association reports that there are over 80,000 jobs for truck drivers in the United States, and that number is expected to grow to 160,000 by 2030.

This shortage has caused logistics industries to hire overseas drivers ready to migrate to the United States for work. If you are interested in becoming a truck driver in the United States, Here are some tips that will help you land a job and migrate.

Gather all Relevant Documents and Skills.

Before you take any steps, make sure you have surveyed the documents that will be needed to land a job, get a visa, and travel to the United States.


Some of them include:

  • Proficiency in Verbal and Written English
  • Drivers License
  • Internal Passport
  • Identification Card
  • Medical Report
  • Funds to pay for visa applications, travel, etc.

Apply for Jobs

Many companies are currently hiring international truck drivers. Go online, apply for as many as you want, and pick the best company that accepts you. Make sure you like the pay and everything else attached to the job.

Choose Visa Type

There are several visa types for truck drivers, and some logistics companies help their employees acquire visas for travel. Here are some visa types they pick from, or you can pick from if you’re the one applying.

H2B Visa: This is a temporary worker visa that can allow an employer to bring workers to work for 9–12 months with initial approval. Thereafter, the employee must leave for 3 months and then come back for an H2B visa or a more permanent option, which is the EB3 visa.

EB-3: This is a permanent visa that helps truck drivers stay in the US for a longer period. But for this option, the employer must show that they were not able to find a suitable employee in the United States. Additionally, as a part of this visa type, the employee’s family can also immigrate with the employee.

Prepare for Your Trip

When you are done with all the visa and job paperwork, you can start packing and planning your trip to start your new career in the US.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button