Canada is rich in opportunities and culture, and many temporary or permanent residents would love to become citizens after they have had the Canadian experience, even if they came into Canada for work, to study, or to visit.
More than 85% of Canadian immigrants become citizens.
When a person becomes a Canadian citizen, they enjoy benefits such as:
- Ability to vote and hold public office.
- Eligibility for more jobs.
- Travel with a Canadian passport.
- Does not need to renew Permanent Residency
Requirements to Apply for Canadian Citizenship
- The applicant must have lived in Canada for at least 3 years during the 5 years before the date of your citizenship application.
- The applicant must be a permanent Resident.
- Applicants between the ages of 18 and 54 must prove language proficiency. (either English or French).
- Applicants must have filed their taxes.
- Applicants between the ages of 18 and above must pass a citizenship interview
Steps to apply for Canadian Citizenship
- Obtain an application package: an application package will include instruction guide on all the documents you need to submit.
- Pay Application Fee: ensure you pay all the fees that are required e.g Processing fee, Right of citizenship fee
- Submit your application: Applications should be submitted with all the necessary documents and criteria when the application window is opened.
Once the application is complete, you may need to take a citizenship test. A citizenship test will allow you to demonstrate your knowledge of Canada. It is for applicants between the ages of 18 and 54. You can take it in either French or English. The test has 20 questions ( multiple choice and true or false questions) and is 30 minutes long.
Oath Taking Process
If you are able to meet all the citizenship criteria and pass all the tests and interviews, you will be invited to a citizenship ceremony, where you will take an oath and become a Canadian citizen.
An immigration lawyer can help you through the citizenship process, so if you don’t understand some procedures or need guidance, do well to contact them.