Pathways for farm working immigrants to work in Canada
1. Agri-Food Immigration Pilot Program
This program provides a pathway to permanent residence (PR) for experienced and non-seasonal workers in specific industries and organizations, thereby helping to solve the hiring demand for professionals in the Canadian agricultural sector. A maximum of 2,800 applicants and their families are accepted per year.
2. Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP)
The Seasonal Agriculture Worker Program is a programme that allows employers to hire temporary foreign workers for jobs that cannot be filled by permanent residents. It is one of the fastest ways to land a farm job in Canada, but the problem with this path is that it is temporary.
3. Temporary Foreign Worker Program
This program offers temporary residency to foreign workers. The programme was created to provide wide opportunities to immigrants that want to work in Canada for a period of time (a maximum of 6 months). There are possibilities for extension if your work period expires.
Job Descriptions and Types of Farm Workers in Canada
There are different farming roles. In Canada, both agricultural professionals and novices work together to plant, cultivate, harvest, and take care of different agricultural products that are used in various sectors of the country. Farm workers also maintain various farming equipment (pick the one most suitable farm role to you). Some of these job titles are
- Fruit picker
- Crop Manager
- Vegetable farm worker
- Agricultural equipment technicians
- Warehouse manager
- Sales rep
- Agricultural specialist
General Responsibilities of a Farm Worker
- Carry out repair and maintenance of farm equipment when needed.
- proficient in handling farm machinery, e.g., tractors, loaders, etc.
- Keep an up-to-date knowledge of farm pests and diseases.
- Take care of crops and livestock.
- Examine the quality of farm products and get them ready for the market.
Employment Requirements for Farm Workers
- Applicants who are punctual and accountable
- Applicants should give important consideration to work values and ethics.
- Applicants should be able to work well both independently and in a team.
- Applicants should be organised and flexible by nature.
- Applicants should have at least basic knowledge of operating farm machinery and equipment
- Applicants should have at least a high school diploma or an equivalent certificate (professional certification gives you higher chances of landing a job).
- Applicants should be willing to work under pressure and perform repetitive tasks repeatedly.
- Applicants should be willing to work in an outdoor environment for several hours.
Generally, farm jobs in Canada are variedly lucrative, and the average annual salary of a fruit picker ranges from $35,000 to $60,000.
Click here to find the job vacancies for farm workers across Canada